Thursday, September 2, 2010

Going, Going, Going...

The Fortieth Death

I was greeted this morning
by stretched golden rays
and a crisp taste in the air
of closing summer days

no more shall the leaves of green
grasp to swaying limbs
no more will calling frogs
enthrall us with hymns

e'er slowly the winter creeps
into the setting sun
and the chilly morning air
becomes autumns new spokesman

so i say my fare-thee-wells
and i wish for it not to end
but another summer's gone
goodbye my graceful friend

9-2-2010



Each year, I get to enjoy insomnia as the seasons blend into one another. It is usually worst at the Winter/Spring and Summer/Autumn transitions, but it was pretty bad going from Spring to Summer this year as well. There is a certain amount of darkness that drags itself into my life when this happens, and it becomes harder and harder to sleep soundly and sleep enough. But this was the first year (go figure, it only took me 40 to notice this) that I saw the mornings really have a significant color change to that beautiful golden glow. It is so beautiful, and yet causes me so much dread for the coming winter.

Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the winter sports (yay hockey!), and seeing the kids have themselves a jolly good time out there in the white stuff, but it's not my favorite time of year. Oh sure, I get to play Snowblower Man and Snowplow Man (With my 45-year-old garden tractor, no less!), and I guess it is OK that the drive to work can be a little more interesting, but the days are so short, and the darkness outside claws it's way into my heart and finds a permanent home.
But I suppose that Darkness is just better for writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment