Saturday, May 14, 2011

Toast. Without the Burnt Edges.

When does one know pride?

Not pride in oneself, rather in others.  Specifically a loved one. Someone like my Sister, say? A person who gave up short-term goals and sacrificed what could have been the best years of her life to grace the planet with beautiful children, an abundance of kindness, and lessons for those around her.   She could be looked upon as foolishly young for the choice at the time.  Many did just that.  But she persevered, raising those children with her husband (of many, many years now), helping to build a home from what was once just a house, and spreading that same, unfaltering kindness upon the world around her. 

And somewhere in the middle of all of that, my big sister grew up. The woman I see today is not far from the big sister I saw all those years ago.  A few more years, a few more miles, and a whole lot of smiles under the bridge, but she's still in there, grinning at me with that "I'm going to break your legs later" look.  She has that same enthusiastic beam, that brightness that she passes on to others even when I can see the shadow of gloom hanging in her eyes.  She makes MY enthusiasm look weak, if you can believe that.  She is an inspiration to all of us to reach beyond what others think you are capable of. 

She is a Marvel.

A Wonder.

And she is my sister.

She shared with me some news yesterday that made me SO happy for her.  I will not divulge the specifics, but just know that she has been given a chance to be what she was built to be...what she has worked so many years to be.   And that, in itself, is perfect.  She carries her doubts deep under the surface, and shares them only sparingly, so when I recognize them, I often wonder how it is that she could REALLY believe that.  But doubts plague us all, and reaffirms what I believe to be one of the few truths in life: We are ALL the same inside.  It's what we do with those feelings that sets us apart.  To have such enormous doubt crawling around under the surface and yet move SO boldly into life points out the scale of the bravery, of the character within that soul.  Of HER Character.

Sister of mine, I raise you a glass - here in the open.  I ask all others to stand with me and smile as we cheer your name.  It's not too much to ask, is it friends?  She deserves it, and trust me on this... it was a LONG time coming.

To my sister, May she be the Captain of her Ship.  May her sails be full and her seas calm.  May her endeavors continue to bring her to the ports she wishes to see.  To you, My Sister.

Huzzah!

I am so proud of you. 

1 comment:

  1. A beautifully glowing tribute!! I am happy that you have each other as siblings!! You both are the berries!! :)

    ReplyDelete