Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Dinosaurs and Such

First, Happy New Year.

I've read hundreds of status updates on Facebook all saying much the same thing - Those three words followed by some form of "Make it the best year EVER" or perhaps "Fuck you 2013! I'm making 2014 mine!" or "I'm blessed, be safe, better the world". You get my meaning, don't you?

It makes me wonder why so many people honestly believe that it takes a change in calendar to make a change in yourself. Resolutions made on the last night of a year are no more likely to change your level of commitment to making them come true. If there is something important to you, maybe you shouldn't wait until December 31st to decide to make it happen. I'm not an expert, and I've made my fair share of meaningless resolutions on countless New Year's Eve celebrations, but not this year.  Instead I am accepting that I will do what I have to, and if I do not do what I believe to be important, then shame on me. If I look back a year from now and am disappointed by my own progress, then I will blame only myself.  As it should be, don't you think?

Having said all of that, you might be asking yourself "What does this have to do with Dinosaurs?"
I'm glad you asked.
Is it me or has there been an abnormally large population of dinosaurs in public media lately? I see SO many tee shirts, and hats, and memes, and FB postings, and news articles about prehistoric creatures that I think I'm going to die from happiness! In addition to being a spider (er, invert) geek, I'm a wicked Dinosaur geek. I love when new species get announced, and when new realizations are made about old ones. I love the images that are a part of our culture, and the way that the "dinosaurs were slow and sloppy" people seem to be getting quieter. And for what it's worth, I still think that the argument over the correct position of Triceratops horridus front legs has a ways to go. Both sides have merit. If I've lost you, I'm sure you can Google it...

When I grew up, I wanted to be a Paleontologist. I dreamed of spending time in the field, being a rock hound, and eventually spending weeks digging up the remains of some long-dead creature. I dreamed of discovering new species, and of being there, in the museum, for the unveiling of the mount. I'm not, as you can see. I'm far removed from that dream, even though I sometimes equate my love of the desert to the dinos rather than the spiders. I am not a Paleontologist because in the end, I chose not to be, Maybe not consciously, but the choice was mine. Do I sometimes long for the chance to go back and tell myself to PLEASE follow that dream? No.  I am who I am today because of all my choices, good and bad. I am still interested in the big lugs, and I can still talk about them with some level of intelligence, but I just don't go out and dig for them. Nothing is stopping me from that, either.

If I spent my days lamenting my choices, I'd never have gotten out of my depression years ago. If I spent my life regretting the things I haven't done, I would fill all of my time with that sadness. I'm not doing that.  Instead, I'm going to find myself in the field one day. I'm going to find one of those eco-trips that gives you the chance to spend some time in the field. And that will be awesome. This year I'm going to see New York (at least twice), and the DC area, Phoenix, and who knows where else. I'm expecting to take a hot air balloon ride, and see a performance of Cabaret starring the amazing Alan Cumming. I'd like to think that by this time next year, I will have some adventures to tell. If I don't. then the tales I have for you will have filled my entire year, and that was what ended up being important.

Do more with your lives, my friends, for our days are numbered and short. But whatever you do, experience it completely, will you? Don't regret what you do, choose to do more.

And as always, fly.

2 comments:

  1. Another facet I learn about you...I didn't know you ever wanted to be a paleontologist. You would be a good one. And no, it's never too late, while we are alive. We can always find a way to nurture our passions. And we must. Thanks for the reminder. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first question - why it takes a turn of the year to recognize and acknowledge what we want to change - I think this goes back to the whole "Why do people need Valentine's Day or anniversaries to treat their partners nicely?" thing.

    Moments like this take us out of the day-to-day. It's *so* easy to get lost in the daily drudgery, so we mark time in moments and events. These moments pull us out of the mundane and remind us of the things that are special again.

    So yeah, I enjoy the look back at the end of the year, and the look ahead to a new one. It's a good boundary, a nice amount of time - long enough to reflect on, short enough to effect a change if we so desire.

    I trust that you'll find some bones somewhere. Trusting that we'll achieve our dreams keeps us dreaming. :-)

    ReplyDelete