Thursday, April 10, 2014

Everybody's Friend

There is a strange phenomenon that occurs when you drive an old motorcycle. Everyone is your friend. There was a time, or so I've heard, when being caught on a Japanese motorcycle very well might end with your ride being trashed. Those days, as far as I can tell, are long gone. Nowadays, every other motorcyclist will look at your machine and say something along the lines of "I used to have a 750" or "my <fill in the relative or friend here> used to have one of those..."

Everyone.

It's really wonderful to have strangers approach you and want to talk about old times that you never shared. Stories are told about the time that this stranger or that rode hos or her 440LTD, KZ650, or old Honda CB whatever up Mount Washington a little too early in the season, or the time that so-and-so met everyone at the campground without a tent, or perhaps the time when he was in the middle of nowhere, got lost, and had to camp out in a field until daylight. There are always so many stories. Rarely do you hear about being stranded on the side of the road (after all, we're not talking British Twins here).  Everyone will tell you about their own experience when they rode, or rode with someone, having an old Japanese bike.

I'd forgotten that part of it. I first experienced it with a 1975 Goldwing, and when I was reminded of it, I smiled wide and had one more reason to look forward to a long riding season. I'm excited about all the people who will grace me with a story. After all, you meet the nicest people on a Honda.

See you on the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment