Sunday, April 10, 2011

For A Man I Never Knew

Once again I find myself at a loss.
I didn't know you.  I never knew you.  And now, sadly, I realize that I will never have the chance to.  Not personally. Your passing leaves a hole that can not be filled no matter time or volume of tears.  It is a hole I will be able to experience now that I am near enough to spot your missing form, hear your missing song, and join in your missing smile.  You touched so many, you made such a difference in this world, and you brought joy to someone I know.  She misses you, and through my love for her, I miss you.

I hear the stories she shares of you. I listen with happiness in my heart as she spins the fabric made from experiences that include your kindness, your smile, your talent, your dedication, and your love.  I have wept inside my heart when she wept openly for your wife, I laughed when she spoke of your dogs, and I long to hear more of those tales.  Those tales of you. I long to feel the texture of that fabric that was your life pass under my blind fingertips again.  I hope to meet others you have touched, to listen to them remember you as well, and be an ear that helps keep you alive with us for all time. I will share my own stories of the woman you made such an impression on in this lifetime, and I hope that honors you and your memory.  I hope to one day meet the dogs I have heard so much about, and the woman who proudly called you her husband.  If not, then let my respect for who you were, what you did, and who you touched be enough.

For you, a man I never knew and a friend I never had, I hang my head today while you are honored by a small group of those who DID know you.  And today I weep inside for the hand I shall never shake for being so good to my dear friend.

In Memory of Rudy Guess
February 27, 1953 - December 31, 2010

Merry Meet
Merry Part
Merry Meet Again.

2 comments:

  1. Quite an amazing post and show of human emotion and deep and profound respect for a fellow man based on the merits of who he was and how he lived his life. He was truly deserving of such words but you are the man for saying them. Thanks for sharing. Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to impress and amaze me both with your words and the depth of feeling they convey…For you to write such a beautiful, moving tribute—you would have indeed been friends with Rudy. You are very much like him. Thank you, Martin, more than words can say…

    ReplyDelete