Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Still Twisting by the Pool...

Yeah.  So I get asked a lot of questions sometimes about Polyamory.  This is not so much a surprise to me, since this really does fall far beyond the boundaries of what people consider 'normal', but sometimes the questions seem more like punctuated statements than questions.  I got a peach of one today.

"So why do this?  Just to prove to yourself that it can be done?"

(I'll leave the byline off, since that's not important, but I will grant full credit if the questioner would like it...)

Good one, huh? So where do I begin?


  • I do this, I love like this, because I can.  
  • I love like this because it is rewarding and beautiful to those who understand and appreciate the choices. 
  • I love like this because I can bring love to more than just a single soul.  
  • I love like this because I can lift others up without feeling guilty that I am letting anyone else down.  
  • I love like this because there are beautiful souls needing to be cared for, appreciated, and loved.  I have enough love to go around, nobody I care for is getting slighted, and it feels damned good to do it.  
  • I love like this because love is one of those wonderful elements that you end up with more of if you keep giving it away.  
  • I love like this because, well, because I choose to.  The people I am involved with get complete honesty from me about what is going on, and I get complete honesty from them just the same.  It's difficult at times, but there are hurdles in every relationship, and honestly, it just feels right.  
  • I love like this because I think it's a beautiful thing. 

As I have said before, it certainly isn't for everyone, and the hurdles can seem insurmountable when viewed from the perspective of a traditional relationship, but they can be bested with work and love, love, love. Not forcing anything helps greatly, as well (It's a very difficult thing to try and fit a puzzle together if the Polaroid has not yet fully developed yet), and making sure that each person gets what is important to them whenever possible goes miles towards showing their importance. 

In the end, it takes patience, understanding, and maybe a little bit of luck in finding the right combination of people, circumstances, and emotional desire to make it work best.  

And I am feeling very, very lucky.  

<3 <3

My dear Gina said something about how I love today that made me smile an awful lot. She said, "Most people will walk past that tiny little flower growing in a crack of the sidewalk and never even notice it at all.  You stop, lift it up, admire it's beauty, it's tenacious spirit, tell it how perfect an example to others it is, and point it out to the rest of the world.  You let that flower shine to all others."

I was totally flattered by this, of course, but I accept that I TRY to do this for people.  I TRY to make them feel as important as they deserve to feel.  Isn't that worth doing?  Isn't that what we should all try to do for others?  

Love each other.  It's important. 


2 comments:

  1. http://bitsofwisdom.org/2011/10/11/heart-exercise/
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not only an admirer of the flowers, you ARE a flower, too. And this is me admiring YOU back. This is SUCH a rewarding choice. Thank you for helping the world to understand that there are other ways to love out there. Those that are drawn to this need not be afraid. Love boldly--it's why we HAVE hearts. :)

    And Jen, LOVE that!! :) SO true!!

    ReplyDelete