Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Sun Still Shines Past 40

Well, here I am. Another birthday rolled on into town, and I find myself with some changes this year: Single again, a new address, a new vehicle, better checks, and some new challenges. But I must admit that once again, the journey takes me into places I did not expect, and my life continues the meandering path onwards.

As always, I am accompanied by some of the most wonderful people ever to have graced this spinning blue marble. I am so grateful for what is added to my life as a result of being associated with the likes of you, my friends and family. So much of what I do every day is made better by my contact with you, the jokes we share, the troubles we discuss, the dreams that are cast out of out mouths and into the ether, and the sheer volume of well-wishes I encounter. I see the path behind me, so difficult, riddled with mistakes and missteps. I see the pain and the joy, the bewilderment and the focus, all of it. I see the parts I'd rather forget, but know I have to learn from. I see the things that I did well, and surprisingly, there are enough of them to make me smile.

So 40 was a great year for me, and a terrible one in some ways, but I will just accept that in light there must be darkness, and step on. 41? Well that's another story entirely.

I have some pretty interesting things coming up, and I am excited to FINALLY be able to entertain in the new digs (not just yet, but soon). I see new opportunities presenting themselves, and I simply cannot believe my good fortune to be in the presence of such Fabulous people (Yes, my wonderful niece, YOU are Fabulous!). I think i might be sounding a little repetitive here, but it IS good to hear, no? And how could I forget my family? Never.

Ladies and Gentlemen, here's to what is to come.

Aww.. hell...
HUZZAH!
(clink!)

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Martin,

    Here is a letter that was meant for your reciept. You are an amazing person, a gifted writer and someone that all of us are blessed to know in life. You are able to say how you feel, feel how you say: and to be able to spell it out is a gift. Thank YOU for being who you are, and being (at times) brutelly, but necessarily, honest. I hope that this year is one of the best for you, and that you can reflect on the last 40 years without sadness or disappointment: and see the mistakes for what they are-learning experiences, the happy times for what they are-wonderful memories, and the challening times for what they are-things that make you stronger. I am very proud to say that you are my uncle, even with your forgetfullness for my birthday (on purpose? :) ) or temporary disagreements on political standpoints. Happy Birthday, may 41 be the start to a wonderful year.

    Lots of Love,
    Jenn (your favorite, fabulous niece)

    ReplyDelete