Saturday, January 1, 2011

That Was SO Last Year...

It is now New Year's Day 2011 and I am still on the couch clacking away on this keyboard. 2010 Was quite a year, wasn't it? Many of my friends and I turned 40, I reconnected with a few people, built upon the lasting friendships that were rekindled after so many years away, and even learned a few things about myself. I lost some people I called friends, some friends lost family members, and as far as I know, nobody too close to me had a baby (yes, I know people who had children in 2010, but not anyone THAT close to me).

In 2010 I learned to stop stuffing the scrawls I sometimes put on paper into the lost world of "what else do I do with it?" and finally got a blog (thanks you two...I really should have done this sooner). I had the opportunity to be exposed to an artistic world I had not given much thought to, and started to see that writing can be as much therapy as art. Well, I guess I should say that I rediscovered that since I knew that a long time ago and just needed to be reminded.

I find myself spending time reflecting upon the events of my life from time to time, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. I appreciate those of you who are with me on those occasional journeys, sharing and listening as we traipse through the inner confines of who we really are.

2010 Was a year that also seemed to be FULL of disasters, huh? Earthquakes, Volcanic eruptions (Stop laughing, you guys), Oil spills, Trapped miners, I mean JEESH! I'm surprised the 2012 craziness hasn't really taken hold of every single news outlet yet, either. If the world ends next year, I'm gonna be doing the 'Slim Pickins' and just ride that sucker screaming YEEEEE-HAAWWWWW! It's better that way.

And 2010 was a good year for another reason. I rediscovered a couple seasons I had been dreading for longer than I'd like to remember. Autumn and Winter. I got to be reminded that kicking leaves into the air while walking was just as much fun as an adult as it was when I was a little kid. I jumped in a leaf pile, I rolled myself in the crisp crunch and let it infuse me with the spirit of the season. I lay still looking up at the deep blue sky and breathed in the joy that I hadn't cared to notice for so very long. And the Winter, now here, makes me long for the slopes and for cocoa after a good day skiing. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a walk in that snow... and spinning dizzily while it falls around you. Aaah... the appreciation of all four seasons.

So there you have it, my friends. My little glimpse into the year gone by. There is so much more to say, however, so I will add one more thing.

You.

All of you. Each and every one of the people I call friend. How could I ever mention last year without mentioning you? I will not run down the list, but each of you knows that I am thinking about you when I say that I love you. And that beyond my friends, you are as much my family as anything. Thank you all for being there with me on this wonderful journey. Let's dance and sing until we are thrown out of the building. Let's make a nuisance of ourselves with our laughing and glee. And above all, let's just hold hands and discover what lies ahead of us.

Being afraid? Being timid? Not being BOLD?

Well. That's SO last year...

No comments:

Post a Comment