Saturday, June 11, 2011

From Left to Right

My son graduated high school yesterday.  He marched so steadily with all his classmates, he moved with that air of pride that can only come from someone who is deeply happy with what they have accomplished.  He sat there, on the stage, beside not only so many of his peers, but alongside his girlfriend and just beamed.  He was excited.  He graduated.We laughed at each other and made faces back and forth from the stage to the crowd, We listened to the speeches his class officers gave and the strangeness from one of the guest speakers as she read from "Curious You" (A Curious George book!). I heard a few beautiful nuggets that might actually appear in my own writings someday. 

But eventually, we came to that point where they called the names.
Then they called HIS name.
Weyland Connor LaBelle
And it was a very big deal to hear.

He beamed, his world open before him.  No endeavor too great.  His chest swelled with pride and with joy.  He laughed with the crowd, he shook hands and high-fived his classmates.  He became a member of the Class of 2011.  He belonged. And when the time came, the class, in unison, moved their tassels from left to right, and the cheers and the shouts and the explosion of silly string became quite the spectacle. A beautiful expression of the pressures that build up inside a class that had to deal with so many challenges.

And somewhere, deep inside, I thought of many of you. I thought of how it felt when WE walked across that stage.  And I remembered how easily I walked away and vanished into the land of "Where are they now?"  I have tried to stress to my son how very important it is to nurture the relationships that he holds dear to his heart.  I have made every effort to point out the fulfillment that comes from having good people in your life.  And I recognize that it is going to be difficult for him when he leaves for Florida on Sunday.

To you, my only son, I raise the mug today. To you for feeling pride and accomplishment To you for making a tough decision to continue in a relationship with Jill regardless of the miles.  To you for seeing the road ahead and being both excited and fearful. 
To you, Welyand Connor LaBelle, for a bright and beautiful future. 


Huzzah.

<clink>

No comments:

Post a Comment